Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Displaying word file as .htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

strucker

Technical User
Aug 28, 2003
US
Created work instructions with pictures for computers out in shop that do not have Microsoft word. Created the documents in word and saved them as .htm files in order to open them on computers that do not have microsoft word. The files were saved to the company network and I would like to copy them off of the network onto the hard drive of the pc's in the shop so that they don't have to be signed onto the network to open the instructions. Only problem is that when i try and save the files on the pc and open them all the pictures show up blank with a little X in the top left corner, but if i sign onto the network and open the file the picture will show up!!!! It's got me stumped????? Any ideas??? Thanks!!!!

That is because Word does not use relative paths, at least, not the older versions.

PS: Using Word to create HTML is not a good move.
Search google or tucows for some good (and free) html design packages, the wysiwyg kind if you don't know HTML.
AceHTML is a good starter.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

I have office 97. Creating and html with word is not a good idea, but i was just trying to find a way to display some work instructions on a basic pc that does not have microsoft office. Is there a quick way to save the file I created in Word97 to the computers in the shop and display that same file without installing word or acrobat reader??? There are a lot of computers and this is just a quick set of work instructions that i just want to display. All i need is the quickest way to display a file that was created in word on a computer that does not have word or anything more than notepad and paint on it. I appreciate your help!!!!! Thanks! What is a relative path??? Why does the same document not show pics if it is coppied and saved????? Always like to understand why stuff happens instead of just accepting and not knowing. Thank a ton!

A quick fix ... there is not.
Word 97 is the worst of all for that.
The relative pathis like ..//images/image1.jpg
The paths you may find in the source Word generates mybe fis as is C:\myweb\images\image1.jpg .
If that is the case, you will need to recreate every single directory EXACTLY as on the working PC(s).

If it is a too complex webpage, give that AceHTML a try, you will be surprised how easy it it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back