Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Displaying Web Pages on Dual Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJP12711

MIS
Jul 23, 2001
US
I have several setups where 1 PC is running 2 large flat screen monitors. All PC's are XP, running IE V6.

On startup, I need 2 webpages to open. Page 1 of 2 should display on the left monitor (monitor 1, which is primary) and page 2 of 2 should display on the right. Both need to be in kiosk mode (or at least maximized and full screen).

My issue is when microsoft patches are done in the middle of the night. The PC's reboot, and the windows open, but they are not maximized and both pages show up on the right monitor. It takes someone manually touching them to fix it.

I have a basic bat file that I believe will solve the issue of them opening up in kiosk mode.

How can I assign each page to open up on the appropriate monitor, automatically?

Thanks for any help!
CJ

The only thing I can think of off hand is via using 2 different web browsers. Otherwise, perhaps there's some sort of scripting you can do that says:

1. Open this webpage on the left monitor.
2. Open that webpage on the righ monitor.

The problem is obviously in the stored memory Windows and graphics cards use to determine where your application should open next time, BASED upon where the current program was last opened.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Do you know how to script it to make it do that? This is where I'm totally stumped!

Thanks for the help!

Since windows (usually) remembers the position of windows when they are closed, it'd be pretty difficult to do what you're saying, without using two different browsers. Then they're going to fight over which one is the "Default" browser.

What about using a snippet of VBS to launch the two browsers, then using hwnd relocate the browser windows where you want them.... (Just a thought.... I don't wish to think about that code... perhaps someone else would).

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Yeah, I'd suggest that if you want to get into the how to code such a thing, that you find the appropriate coding forum here, and ask the specifics there. For isntance, if you want to try VBScript, as gbaughma specified, you could use this forum:
forum329

Or else if you want to go another route, try searching for an applicable forum. At the least, you could try one of the Windows forums, or else Internet Explorer, but I'm guessing that Windows XP would be the best route to at least get started, unless you are sure you want to try VBScript:
forum779

This forum is primarily geared towards the actual hardware. Though some of us could get into the details of code to accomplish this task, the forum isn't really geared for that. If you post in a more appropriate forum, then you'd have a better shot at someone actually having a desire to jump right into the code part of things. [wink]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Thanks for the suggestion! I was hoping not to have to load additional software on the PC's with this script. Our desktop engineers are a bit picky with that! Any ideas?

Have you tried 1. not allowing software updates to install at midnight. Set Windows update to download when they are ready but you choose when to install them. Or 2. updating to IE8?

Gabriel Blanc-Laine
VP Sales & Marketing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back