Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Displaying Search Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumices

Programmer
Dec 1, 2004
US
Hey, I am writting a simple database program for a friend's business and I have set up a search form and I have essentially "split" the screen in half and on one half is where you enter in the search information and the other half is where the results are displayed. I am using a MSAcess database and it has to be able to display multiple results but the user also has to be able to click on each of the results and be taken to the full record. My problem is I don't know how to handle the fact that there could be an indefinate amount of results to display and link each to the individual record. I appreciate any help someone could give me.

I suggest using either the FlexGrid (MSFlexGrid) or Hierarchical FlexGrid (MSHFlexGrid) to display your results. You can code the grid's double click event to display the entirety of the selected record.

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Thanks, I am trying to use the datagrid and it seems to be able to do what I want but Is there a way for me to display the data not in one big cell. For instance In the database I have things like First Name, Last Name, Permit Number, Invoice Number, and Zip. Right now it has all of those things sepearted and I was able to remove the border on them but what I would like to do is somehow merge those cells so when the user selects one it selects the whole row. Also how do I tell which cell was clicked on the datagrid so that I can display the appropriate data in the form it opens. Thanks again for any help someone can give me.

You can use the flexgrid and set its selection properties to only allow the selection of an entire row.

If your search results may return lots of records (100s) then you might want to consider recordset paging to speed up your search form. See the link below for details.

zemp

Thanks for the help everyone i was finnaly able to make it work. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back