Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Displaying Query Results on Form Locks the Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonMcNatt

Technical User
May 22, 2002
US
I am using a form where the user can hit a button to retrieve information for a date and a different button to delete all dates.

I have list box on the form which lists the results of a query showing the dates that have been retrieved. After the user pulls a new date I do me.refresh which updates the dates retrieved in the list box.

However, when I try to delete all dates I get an error because the query showing retrieved dates is locking the records. I have the lock records option set to no in the properties for the list box.

Any thoughts on how to work around this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ron

It may not be the list box that's causing the problems. Are you certain that your query produces an updatable recordset?

If I'm understanding your question correctly, the query can and is rerun after each update. IE the user pulls a date, the list box shows it, the user then pulls another date and the list box now shows both dates.

The old design I had in place was to have the user click a button which ran the query showing the dates retrieved. I'm trying to change that to where the list box shows the dates retrieved thereby saving a click for the user and making the data more transparent.

Since all queries/buttons run fine before I add the list box, my only assumption is that the list box and the query behind it are locking the records so I can't delete the tables.

I have a file with patient info and one with employee info.
PtFile has column called unit.
EmpFile has columns userid and ptunit.
My query filters the EmpFile to the network userid.
The relationship limits the records to whatever unit in the PtFile matches the ptunit in the EmpFile.
It sees the correct records but they're not updatable.
How can I filter the records to to see only that unit and still be updatable?
Or should the form be filtered instead of the query? How?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back