Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Displaying PDF in page and forcing z-index to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

I'm having a big problem getting a PDF to display in the browser and have my popout menu display over the top.

I've tried iframe and embed and assigned low z-index's to both, but nothing seems to work. the PDF is blocking the display of the pop out menu.

How do i get round this and force the PDF to be a bottom layer and allow other elements to float over the top in a higher layer position.

thanks,

1DMF.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Google Rank Extractor -> Perl beta with FusionCharts

use wmode="transparent" as you would for Flash objects.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Doesn't seem to work, I assume it's an attribute of either the embed or iframe tag?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

forgot to post code...

Code:
document.getElementById('statement').innerHTML='<embed wmode="transparent" style="width:780px; height:780px; border:1px solid #233e97; margin-bottom:5px; z-index:1; position:absolute;" src="/cgi-bin/myCGI.pl?DOC=' + docid + '.pdf">';

The work around i'm using is to use an iframe and make the iframe object 'display:none;' when the menu is hovered over, but that's far from ideal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back