Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Displaying Only Selected Columns

Status
Not open for further replies.

purepinay

MIS
Apr 17, 2007
US
I have created a list report that has 80 data items, and a prompt page with the same 80 data items listed as static choices. When the user selects specific data options, the report should only show the selected data. Is there a way to do this?

If you are using CRN or C8 this is very possible.

I did it .

Check SupportLink You have to read between the lines but everything is there.

Query Item1 =
Case ?Parameter1?
When 'prodline' Then [Product Line]
When 'prodtype' Then [Product type]
When 'ordmethod' Then [Order method]
End

So in our case , users can pick up 4 parameters and then it goes to list grouped , where in the 4 parameters they have a list of available fields.

Draoued -

Thank you for this tip, unfortunately, it's not what I was looking for. The tip you provided helps in sorting the report based on a user prompt.

What I wanted to do was be able to list all 80 data items as choices for a user to select. When they have selected all the items they want in the prompt, the report should run, showing only the selected columns they have chosen in a list report. Do you know how to do this?

I do not think the offered solution is about sorting. Based on the input of the prompt it display a certain object.
However, this would account for one column at a time.

What you are searching for is a sort of conditional hide/display of column(data). You can format conditionally, but not hide/display AFAIK

Ties Blom

As I said , you have to read between the lines of this supportlink article to extend it to your own purpose.

To have it in a simple way.
Defined how many maximum columns they can have .
Create as many list prompt as you need.
For each prompt you have create as many query items.
Query ItemX =
Case ?ParameterX?
When 'prodline' Then [Product Line]
When 'prodtype' Then [Product type]
When 'ordmethod' Then [Order method]
when 'Empty' then Null
End

Then your users can pick up the needed fields from each prompts.

For the 'Empty' choice you can defined a custom style where the column is Hidden. So that they can have less columns than your maximum amout of columns.

Hope it clarify it.

Draoued -

Thank you. I tried that method, and it works great.

I was also able to get this to work by doing the following:

Create a value prompt as a check box with static choices for each column.

Create a boolean variable for each column, using the "contain" function (i.e. ParamValue('DisplayOptions') contains 'A1B')

Selecting each List Column individually, and setting the Render Variable to the boolean variable you created for the column.

It takes a lot of time, especially with 80 choices, but it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back