Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Displaying Data In Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

robWhitz

MIS
Oct 23, 2001
SG
I have a report that display 2 fields, e.g Country, Name. As it is only 2 fields, it only occupies the left-half of the page.

I would like the information to flow from left-half, to the right-half of the page. When the whole page is filled up, it will flow to the left-half of the 2nd page, and so forth.

Is this possible? This can help me to have more information on 1 page, as well as to minimise paper wastage.

What style is your report in? What you can do, without having to re-create the report (I believe), is to go into the report on Design View. Click on the entry you want to move. It should suddenly be surrounded by little black boxes. Then move your cursor around until it shows the little hand which means you can clink-n-drag. Drag the selection to the right of the one you want left on the left, release. You'll have to do this separately for the header and the detail box both, but it SHOULD work.

Remember to double check your changes in Print Preview before exiting and saving. That way you can continue to tweak until it looks perfect.

If it doesn't, then there should be a way to change the report from columnar to tabular, but I'm not quite sure what it is other then using the Report Wizard to redo the report making process with a different name.

Catadmin - New to Server Admin, but willing to learn... All help is appreciated.

Hi Catadmin, by doing what you suugested was more to move the data fields from 1 part of the page to another. Please correct me if I'm missing a step here.

What I hope to achieve is as follows:-

Country Name Country Name
Cty1 PersonA Cty3 PersonE
Cty1 PersonB Cty3 PersonF
Cty2 PersonC Cty4 PersonG
Cty3 PersonD Cty5 PersonH

Thanks in advance.

Hey, RobWhitz,

Sorry it took me so long to respond, but I'm doing something similar to what you are (a bit more complicated though) and have been doing some research. If you check out the help files on Grouping and Multiple Columns, it should help. There are some specific file titled "Start each group in a report in a new row or column" and "Create a multiple-column report" which should help you out, though the information was useless to me due to the nature of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Check those out and let me know if they work for you.

Catadmin - New to Server Admin, but willing to learn... All help is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back