Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Displaying a Memo Field

Status
Not open for further replies.

minckle

Programmer
Mar 17, 2004
GB
What is the best way of displaying a Memo field on a webpage???

Im trying to display a customer enquiry/complaint and then undreneath the response. Both of which are being retreived from a database.

I've tried displaying it in a multi-line textbox but i'm not convinced.

What would you suggest??

minckle: I generally use a textbox with multi-line turned on; but can't say I've run into very long memos - I'm sure there is an upper limit on the textbox (you can do a search here and try and find that limit; it has been mentioned a few times). The scroll bars turn on automatically so it has worked for me. You could also control in code or there may be a built-in function for this, the height of the textbox, expanding it when the character number becomes a certain length.

Perhaps creating a scrollable div element may help; perhaps using a span element inside that. I would say that unless the textbox has an upper limit that is not compatible I would use it; but if it not sufficient then perhaps caputre the text in a string and place it, for example, between span tags, or perhaps plain html text.

I set the max length of my multi line textbox to 1000000000 anything above that is an invalid property. try it.

dvannoy: What is the statement that sets it? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back