Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Display Windows Advanced Option Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyBoy01

Technical User
Jun 10, 2003
AU
Hi Peoples,

I have a WinXP Desktop machine which on boot up continues to go into the Windows Advanced Option Menu.
Am I able to disable this option so it goes straight to login screen ??

I thought it only comes up either when:
* Somethin is wrong with the PC,
* its a dual boot system.
Neither issues seem to match the two options.

If you can't display, any ideas on the best place to start looking ??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

D-Boy

Are you referring to the Safe Mode options screen?

These are general fault finding articles which may help you diagnose your trouble.

To get further information about the error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on this site.

Also check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that caused your problem.

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.

308041 - Resources for Troubleshooting Startup Problems in Windows XP

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with starting.

Try Safe Mode Option using "Last Known Good Configuration" option.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Thanks for your detailed response.

I'll check it out and let you know how I go.

thanks agin,

DBoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back