Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Display record and subrecords if exists, after primary key entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

drazeni

Programmer
Apr 21, 2001
ZA
I have a set of tables with a one to many relationship:

Header table (one relationship)
Detail table (many relationship)

Header table has a primary key called 'Reg_no' and detail table is joined on the same field (one to many). I have an input form with a subform, referencing the two tables with data entry set to yes. Simple enough.

My dilemna is as follows:

Upon the user entering a reg_no, if the master record (header table) matching the entered reg_no exists all the other details must be displayed in the main and subform for further master/sub record entry/edit.

How do I make the form call up the master and it's subrecords for editing if the reg_no exists? (I would prefer not to use DLookup, as it may be required to modify the master record detail).

I assume that the reg_no field will be a combo box? but if there is no existing record, a new one must be created.

If anyone has a good solution to this, or you require more info from me, please post.

Much appreciated.
Mario

In the After_Update event of your text\combo box, set the subform's Recordsource to a select statement with the text\combo box in the where clause:

SubFormName.RecordSource = "Select * from Tablename where KeyFieldName = " & ComboBoxName & ";"

SubFormName.Requery

Each time the value in changed in the combo box, the subform will reflect the change.

To change the values in the master, I suggest that you use the ComboBox Wizard to lookup a record based upon your primary key.

mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back