Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Display Properties Missing a tab 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunkinmoon

Technical User
Jun 19, 2001
US
Upgraded to XP Home from Win 98, uggraded video drivers for RIVA TNT graphics board.
Missing the Desktop tab in the Display Properties box, never came up to begin with. Microsoft says because old video board, I think it's something else...any ideas are welcome. I'd really like to be able to manage the desktop environment through this tab.
Thanks,
Frank

No, Microsoft are correct. Its crappy ATI drivers, try downloading the latest, or get a copy of Display Console and use that.

Ooops sorry I was thinking of the ATI RAGE for some reason

bcastner,

Thanks for that tip, eldergeek is a great site. Unfortunately, group policy editor is not available in XP Home, so I guess I'll see if I can find a work around, any suggestions.

Frank

You need to go into your registry using Start, Run, Regedit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Look for the DWord "ClassicShell" - you need to change this value to 0 (zero)

Reboot.
My fingers are crossed for you.

bcaster,
I've been struggling with this for weeks, and not only did your direction work..the regedit, but directing me to the eldergeek as a tool is also a great asset. Thanks for being there for us semi tech users, your help has saved me a ton of time. I was actually told by a Microsoft troubleshooter that I would probably have to upgrade my video board...go figure.

Many thanks,
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back