Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Display progress bar while script is running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memothe1

Programmer
Jan 19, 2022
HK
Hi all,
I am currently using IE to display a progress bar while my script is running. Now that IE will be decommissioned I am looking for a replacement, any alternative implementations that you can suggest?
Thanks

Screen_Shot_2022-01-19_at_2.54.40_PM_yxhqdf.png

Difficult to say without more context but these days VBScript is probably no longer the best medium.

For basic progress bars have a look at PowerShell's Write-Progress cmdlet or, for more visual effects and granularity, look at something like AutoHotkey, for example:

ahk_progressbar_lxxzgg.png

Hi,

I don't have much flexibility in terms of using VBScript as it is used for some legacy applications at my company. For more context, I am copying a bunch of files so I create the IE object and increment the progress bar based on the ratio of files uploaded. The change would need to be implemented across a number of legacy applications so trying to keep it simple. I found some suggestions about using HTA but have no previous experience with it, is that a suitable alternative? are there better suggestions?

I would also try the HTA option. At least for the future, when IE stops working in newer Windows, you'll have a replace solution.

I've had a similar experience in the past. Originally I used some object for file open dialog which no longer worked in Windows 7, so I had to revise it and used the File Open Dialog from Excel.
Then for the latest script I also wrote it first in Vbscript in the same way but then I made a decision to try it in Powershell using the file open dialog System.Windows.Forms.OpenFileDialog. It's also good to write a script in Powershell, but there are other problems with Powershell that doesn't exist with Vbscript ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back