Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Display PDF outside IE6

Status
Not open for further replies.

leekb

Technical User
Oct 9, 2002
SG
Dear experts,

I am running IE6 and Acrobat 5.05 on Windows 2000. I am able to view PDF in IE6 without any problem. But I really want to view PDF in a separate Acrobat window. So I unchecked "Display PDF in Browser" in Acrobat>Edit>Preference>General>Options and restarted IE6. After this procedure I could not even view PDF at all. When I clicked a PDF link, IE6 would download the PDF and IE6 window would turn blank.

I tried all the tips and tricks I could find in the Internet but none of them worked. I learn at a web site that unchecking "Display PDF in Browser" and restarting IE6 would trigger IE6 to prompt for "Open" - "Save" popup upon clicking on PDF - I did not see any such popup.

Anyone has any idea?

thanks in advance.

You seem to have everything set okay. The prompt for "Open" - "Save" may be struggling with a buggy file association. Try going to Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>File Types and tinker with the settings for PDF files. You may want to eliminate the PDF file type entirely so that your computer is confused the next time you click on a PDF link in a web browser. The computer should then prompt you with the save or open dialog box. Once you establish your preference (of opening in Acrobat) the file type that you trashed earlier in Explorer>Tools will be refreshed correctly.

I found the solution to this problem.

I renamed nppdf32.ddl to nppdf32.dll.old in c:\program files\internet explorer\plugins. Unchecked "Display PDF in browser". PDF now opens in a separate Acrobat application window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back