Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Display Multiple Records Formatted with Checkboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

swoodring27

Technical User
Mar 15, 2004
US
I'm trying to figure out the best way to create a table and accompanying form. I'm using Access 2003 SP3.

For each item, txtItem, I have a matrix of 2 options and 2 types. For each option/type combination the user can choose the values 0-9. The user can choose any or all of these values.

ITEM
-------------------------------------
[tab][tab][tab][tab]| Type 1[tab]| Type 2
Option 1[tab]| 0-9[tab][tab]| 0-9
Option 2[tab]| 0-9[tab][tab]| 0-9

Since the user can choose one value from 0-9 or all 10 values, I didn't want to create a table with a field for every digit. If I did this, I'd be creating a large table where most of the fields wouldn't be used. So my table looks like this.

intKeyID
txtItem
txtType
txtOption
intValue where intValue is 0-9

How can I map all of the intValue for a given txtItem to the form where each of the values of 0-9 is displayed as a check box.

Visually, it's easiest for the user to see and populate checkboxes, but table design-wise it seems best to create one record for each intValue needed. Ideally I would then use this as a subform where the main form records other unique criteria for each Item.

Thanks - swoodring27

I would create the tables as normalized as possible. The user-interface could use temp tables or unbound forms to read the normalized records and display them to the user.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back