Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Display Memo in combo box Or another option

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxicottin

Programmer
Jun 20, 2008
US
Hello, I need some ideas on the best solution for doing this. I have a memo field that I need to select from a combo box and display the result in a text box next to it which is easy. My problem is the text being long and the user having to scroll in a combo box to make a selection isn't very appealing but is the only option I can come up with. My question is how can I display several paragraphs or questions like below like you would in a combo box and be able to see all the text like below instead of one giant line of text. Thoughts!

Must be able to work with others in a teamwork environment:
A. Demonstrate the ability to cooperate with co-workers in all areas including safety, quality, production, and maintenance.
B. Completes all other job assignments that are issued by the Supervisor or Foreman.
C. Able and willing to work assigned overtime.
D. Maintain regular and predictable attendance.

Thanks,
SoggyCashew.....

That's a lot of text to display in a combo box.
Can you just show the very first line in a combo box, and when chosen, display all of it in a text box?

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Andy's idea is probably the way to go, here! The Memo Field is going to be truncated to 256 characters, when displayed in a Combobox, and even that is going to be bothersome in that you'll have to scroll a lot in order to see all of it.

If I had to do this, I'd use a Query as the RowSource, and have a calculated Field in it to only include X number of characters, something like this:

DisplayField: Left([MemoFieldName], 100)

Then include DisplayField in the Combobox RowSource instead of the Memo Field itself.

To show more characters or fewer characters, simply adjust the 100 in the above.

Hope this helps!

There's always more than one way to skin a cat!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

I’m having a heck of a time getting this database to work the way I want. Here is what Im wanting to do...

1) I have a main form (frm_DataEntryForm) which I need to select an employee
2) Then I have a subform (sfrm_EmployeeFunctions) that you need to select a “Function” and there are 9 functions to choose from in a combo box on this form.
3) Then on that (sfrm_EmployeeFunctions) I have a subform named (sfrm_FunctionRequirements) which I need to show a list of “Requirements”, “Completed” and “Date Completed”.
Now the issues I’m having is first I select an employee then I go to combo box and I select a function and there are several of the same. I cant get this section to work, I tried to create and run from a query but it shows several of the same entries AND when I do select a function I need it to show all the requirements associated with that function in the (sfrm_FunctionRequirements) so I can check if they were completed or not. Ideas?

Thanks,
SoggyCashew.....

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d7547c65-98cd-4d34-b344-3860fe0985b5&file=Functions.zip
Did you found the solution to your original question? ("Display Memo in combo box Or another option")

I ask because this looks like totally unrelated new question...

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Well It kinda has to do with the memo field so I didnt start a new thread. I decided to not go with the showing in a combo, well it shows in the combo cboFunction but hidden so no need to worry how it looks. I need the info from that combo box to supply the subform(sfrm_FunctionRequirements)for the function that is chosen and I just cant figure out how to do this...

Thanks,
SoggyCashew.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back