Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Display intranet web application over VPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roberthagan

Technical User
May 9, 2006
US
I know next to nothing about Citrix.

I work for an agency that runs an intranet and uses Citrix over a VPN to show a Windows client-server application to our sub-contractors. We also have a web-based application on our intranet, that we need to display to the sub-contractors. Our server folks maintain that can't be done using Citrix.

The web application has not been certified to run on the internet. Is there any way to run that application inside a Citrix session so it uses Citrix security? If so, how?

I see mention of a web interface. Is that something completely different?

Just point me in the right direction, if any.
Thanks

roberthagan,
We need a little more information regarding your current configuration.

So it looks like your sub-contractors are using a VPN to connect to your network and launching the Citrix application....correct?

What kind of application are they launching? (i.e...Desktop, Outlook, Word...etc..etc...)

How are they getting to those Citrix applications right now? Are they using the Citrix Program Neighborhood or using a Program Neighborhood Agent, ICA Custom file? (doesn't sound like you have Web Interface up and running)

I have no direct contact with the Citrix folks, and only know what an intermediary reports. From what I've heard, the sub-contractors have access through the internet to whatever box Citrix runs on. As I mentioned, we have an old client-server database application and one client is on the box running Citrix. I presume you would call that a Desktop app.

We have moved most of the functionality of the old app adn created new functionality to an asp web interface which connects the old back-end database. That's what we need to expose to the subs. When the program area people say the subs need to see that, we're always told, "well you can't run a browser-based application over Citrix." If it is possible, I need to know enough detail so I can go back to the intermediary. We are currently designing an ASP.NET application which will run internally, and over the internet. Phase 1 should be ready in about a year.

So, we want something that is fairly easy to implement for the short term, and not too expensive. Does the web interface require additional licensing? New skills? We're a gov't agency and getting approval for new licenses can take as long as building the new app. Agile NOT!

I'll see what else I an find out, but even some general comments on what's possible would be helpful.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back