Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Display Ethernet address of logged in users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlfiller

Technical User
May 22, 2001
US
I hope this isn't a REALLY stupid question. I just converted a server from Netware 4.0 to Windows 2000. I need to be able to display where a student is logged in by Ethernet address if possible. Is there a way to do that in W2K? It was so easy in Netware.

The students occasionally change the computer name so that isn't a really reliable way to find a computer that a student is logged into. JL Filler,Wilton Public Schools, Wilton CT

They shouldn't be able to change the computer names unless you delegated their accounts those abilities (and as a recent high school grad, I'll be the first to say doing that would be really stupid :) Darrell Mozingo
MCP (soon MCSA), A+, Network+, i-Net+, MOUS 2000 Master

Nope, I didn't allow them to do that, but with Windows 9x it's a little harder to prevent.

Anyway, I need the names and Ethernet addresses of logged-in users JL Filler,Wilton Public Schools, Wilton CT

Oh yeah, forgot about Win9x... I can't think of how to do it exactly, but some how using the arp.exe and outputting it to a text file? Or do you need it in real time? Darrell Mozingo
MCP (soon MCSA), A+, Network+, i-Net+, MOUS 2000 Master

they can not change the computer name if u use computer and/or user policies for them, so you restric accces to the control panel ,etc, etc A+, MCP, CCNA Certified.

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

"arp -a" displays the ethernet address of logged-in workstations, but not the user name

"netstat" displays the IP address, but not the username or Ethernet address.

Is there really no easy way to display what users are logged in and at least the machinename they are logged into????? JL Filler,Wilton Public Schools, Wilton CT

If your using DHCP, your DHCP manager will tell you wich computer has wich IP address, and you can also restric certain users to use certain computers using The user manager or Active Directory, or whatever it is called.
Does that help? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

You could try the old servermanger application from NT 4.0.
It's also located in the Win2K server resource kit. That will tell you users and locations.

If you use a KixTart login script ( you'll have all the functions to do what you want under Win 9x / 2K / XP, though it won't work for this purpose under NT 4 (the EnumIPInfo() function doesn't work under NT). I send User Name, Computer Name, Time and Date of student logins to log files on my server, and could just as easily include IP address.

Not to sound cynical (I really enjoy most of the students I work with at a public middle school), but my general experience has been "if it can be gotten away with, someone will try it." Win9x isn't very secure out-of-the-box, but with some tweaking and effort, I really do think you can stop 99%+ of the things most students might try, and I'd include renaming machines in that. Since machine name is stored in the Windows registry, in addition to restricting Control Panel access as koquito mentioned above, you might consider restoring a backup copy of system.dat on bootup, which will restore all sorts of registry settings. That alone wouldn't stop a student from making temporary changes, but it would undo them on reboot.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back