Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Display error message when user tries to add duplicate record into db

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharapov

MIS
May 28, 2002
US
I am letting users add some information into MySQL database via forms. I have set one of the fields in the database as"unique" to prevent duplicate records. What I want to do is to display message to the user when he/she tries to add the same record twice(i.e submit ethe same form with the same info twice. Usuallu happens when user refreshes the browser). Below is the form that I use to submit info to database. I know that I have to do some checking before all this info is actually inserted into database, but I can't figure how. I tried to do the following without sucsess, can anybody help?

$check = "SELECT COUNT(pos_title) FROM $tablename WHERE pos_title='$_POST[array]')";
$check_result = mysql_query($check);

if(mysql_num_rows($check_result)>0)
{
die("YOU have submited it already");
}

echo"<form action='edit.php' name='add' method='post'>\n";
echo"<input type=hidden name='tablename' value='$tablename' />\n";
echo"<input type=hidden name='dbname' value='$dbname' />\n";
echo"<table>";
echo"<tr><td colspan=2><center><b>NEW POSITION</b></center><br></td></td>";
echo"<tr><td class=td>Position Title:</td>";
echo"<td class=td><input type=\"text\" name='array[1]' size=\"32\"></td>";
echo"<tr><td class=td>Position Description:</td>";
echo"<td class=td><textarea rows=\"6\" name='array[2]' cols=\"34\"></textarea></td>";
echo"<tr><td colspan=\"2\">";
echo"<button title='New Position' class=buttons type=submit name='addrec'/> Create New </button>\n";
echo"<button onclick=\"history.back();\">Cancel</button></td>";
echo"</table></form>";

Output to the browser the SELECT query you're constructing in your code.

You'll see that the problem is that $_POST['array'] is, well, an array. You have to pass MySQL a string.

If one particular element of $_POST['array'] is the value for which you are checking in MySQL, pass MySQL just that one element in your query.

If you need MySQL to check every element of $_POST['array'], you're going to have to construct a query which reads as "...WHERE post_title = $_POST['array'][0] or post_title = $_POST['array'][1]...." or you're going to have to loop through $_POST['array'], constructing multiple queries and sending them to MySQL separately.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

sleipnir214 ,

Thank you for your responce. I rewrote my statement a little bit (see below) but it doesn't seem to be working. I shows there is 0 records when you run it, where there should be at least one. CAn you help? Thanks.

$query = "SELECT pos_title FROM $tablename WHERE pos_title = '$_POST[array][2]'";

$result = mysql_query($query);
$num_results = mysql_num_rows($result);

echo $num_results; //show on the screen

if(($num_results)>0)
{
die("YOU have submited it already");
}

The first step to debugging database problems is to output the query and examine it.

Does the query look right?
If you copy the output query to your preferred database tool, does it return what you expect?

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

sleipnir214,

I checked the query and it looks fine. (there is no errors) but when I run it inside the code I get "0" as a result when user tries to submit exactly the same information to the database (look at my code above). May be there is an error in my logic, not the code itself?

It says: Your SQL-query has been executed successfully (Query took 0.0003 sec)

Well you can't really check that in the MySQL admin tool because you are not submitting anything with the "POST,"
but if yo run it normally and show input on the screen, it shows "0" records, where there should be 1.

That is true, but my script sends some information from the form. That information is storeed in the $_POST variable. and I can't simulate that when I copy and paste query into admin tool.

Tip:

PHP really doesn't like to work with multi-dimensional arrays within a double-quoted context. For clarity and to avoid any mishaps it should not be:
Code:
$query = "SELECT pos_title FROM $tablename WHERE pos_title = '$_POST[array][2]'"; 
# better:
$query = "SELECT pos_title FROM $tablename WHERE pos_title = '".$_POST['array'][2]."'";
Also, the naming of a posted variable to array seems to me asks for trouble since array is a reserved word in PHP. It is always recommended to stay away from reserved words.

Also, follow sleipnir214's advice and print the SQL statement out. You need also to show us how you ascertain the return value.

Thank you guys for your help. I figured out where my mistake was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back