Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Display driver stopped responding - Nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA
DispDriverStopped.jpg

I had just replaced a GeForce GT520 video-card with a GeForce GTX 560.
I was experiencing this same problem before with the 520, reason why I felt compelled to upgrade. So much for that! :(

Is it a matter of finding a driver version that won't react the same way? Or is there something else what to look into or do?

Thank in advance guys :)

JDL

Did you remove the original drivers and software before installing the new card. That's what I would recommend.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

goombawaho,

I didn't do that originally. But after a few people recommended that I did. In fact I even used the Display Driver Uninstall utility. An excellent tool to do a clean install. But even after all this I still continued getting the same error.
A pop-up shows a link to the following page: "Timeout Detection & Recovery of GPUs through WDDM "
The instructions advise to edit some keys in the Registry. Problem is it seems these instructions are specific to Vista. I did a Search on: "HKLM", "TdrDelay", and "REG_DWORD" but none of these were found. Additionally I looked for the directory path mentioned: "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDriv ers".
From what I understand Windows is not giving enough time to the GPU to do all the tasks involved and even though the card is still working on the task, Windows times out. So the idea is to modify this so that Windows allows more time than the default. If I only knew where these bloody keys are!

Btw, I did try the EVGA Precision X app, but it didn't do the trick for me :(

For some it worked just to increase the voltage with a tool like Precision X, just tried that w/out avail for me :(
I incresed to 1025, then clicked on the "K-Boost" button to lock it to that voltage.

At this point it may work if I could modify the Registry keys responsible for delaying the "Time-out Detection" by Windows 8.1
Unfortunately the only instructions Windows points me to are for Vista.
I found a key called "Timeout, REG_DWORD", found here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/GraphicsDrivers/DCI/

The default value was 7. I increased to 500. The other file in this folder is called "(Default, REG_SZ)", default value is 0. Also increased it to 500. Every time I changed one thing I went to Blender and tried to render the scene I'm working on. But it's not working so far. I keep getting the same error.
Chances are these keys are not the right ones.

Finally found the solution:
Ubuntu 13.10!

Finally got it installed along with its respective Nvidia drivers. I no longer experience any errors while doing the rendering : )

I liked Ubuntu so much now I'm working on setting up a Dual Boot ; )

JDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back