Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Display C: drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiggyshag

Programmer
Dec 14, 2001
GB
Hi

I wish to be able to display the C: drive and directories etc on a webpage this would be the clients c: drive not the server's.
is it possible?
if so how?
and can it be made to look like windows explorer

cheers

The quick answer is of course. But the real question is why would you want to do that?

you could simply allow broseing of a web site that was directed at your c:\ drive. If you want the users to be able to manipulate the files, then you could either allow ftping which would probably be the best thing but you'll have to create members which I assume is what you'd be allowing anyway...right? If for some strange reason you wanted to open up your c:\ drive to anonymous users so anyone in the world could get on your system, you can create a simple file-system-object page that will control the files on your server and let the users control the server through this web page.

Hope this answers your question. -Ovatvvon :-Q

Thankyou for your help so far.

This will be run over an Intranet and people like to do everything from the browser and I would like them to be able to see thier c: drive so they can do things in the browser.

so how do I go about doing this any help would be great

Cheers

Well, if everyone is useing a Win2k professional machine or a server than you can use a file system object script run on every person's machine.

Apparently there's no FAQ on FSO and this is a frequently asked question...so as soon as I get home from work tonight (in about 6 hours, I'll write up a FAQ on how to properly implement FSO on your site and then I'll post the link in here for you to view it in case you don't see it in the FAQ area. -Ovatvvon :-Q

NO, fortunately this is not possible with ASP.
it would be serious security problems if this were possible, for example a web site that analyzes contents of client disks.

as already suggested it's possible display the content of drives only through a client interface.. for example vbscript or javascript (client side).

Silke

silkep,
It IS possible through FSO. I'm about to write up a FAQ on it. give me a lil time....very very busy day...actually...week. :(

-Ovatvvon :-Q

This can be done fairly easily. You said you wanted the client's C: drive and not the servers, under IE, you don't need ASP, just use code like the following:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC &quot;-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN&quot;>

<html>
<head>
<title>Your C: Drive</title>
</head>
<frameset rows=&quot;120,*&quot;>

<frame name=&quot;fraTop&quot; frameborder=&quot;0&quot; src=&quot;top.html&quot; scrolling=&quot;no&quot;>
<frame name=&quot;fraBottom&quot; frameborder=&quot;0&quot; src=&quot;file:///C:/&quot;>

</frameset>
</html>

Keep in mind that this will not work for user's that don't have a C: drive and users that aren't using windows (ie. linux, mac, etc. users).

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back