Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disovery Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrapz

IS-IT--Management
May 28, 2008
US
Hi,

Anyone that can help me out with this would be greatly apprecited. I'm trying to discover computers on my network and none of the discovery methods, not one. I mean is there something I'm missing in order to discovery things on my network. I think I pretty much have tried everything that I know of to try to resolve this issue. If anyone can give me some suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Out of interest what version of SMS is this?

Have you set boundaries up? How did you set them up?
How did you configure the discovery methods up? Network, AD, Heartbeat?

Explain how you configured your discovery.

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Sorry about the lack of info:

The version is 2007 and just to make sure that the system works I ran the AD systems discovery and network discovery. They aren't setup to any specific way, but AD systems I ran right away to see if it picks anything up. Unfortunately it did not pick up anything. So I set it up to run at midnight and still nothing happened this morning. I updated the collections Memembership and refreshed it and still nothing shows up.

OK at a minimum I would configure where you're going to get the discovery from, configure the AD Domain and possibly the DHCP, I would also look at discovering the subnet as well.

As for the AD System discovery, did you put in where you wanted to discover? use the default namespace if you want to discover the entire AD infrastructure or from the container you want.

Set schedules up for both.

It should be a simple case of configuring the nitty gritty and the Data Discovery Records should start to appear.

SimonD.

I think I go it now. Thank you for taking the time to help out. I just need to figure out how to push the client software now.

You can deploy the client a number of ways, pushing is one way, manually or via a gpo\logon script.

Make sure you make the package using the predefined package rather than creating it all again yourself.

SimonD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back