Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dismantling desktop PC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

max8699

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2006
AU
I work for a group that hires disabled people and they run a recycle center. They are starting up a E-recycling program for people to dump their old pc's. The boss has asked me to come up with a training program where i can teach the staff how to dismantle the old pc's, what to look for, what each component is etc..They are then going to sell the working components.
So instead of reinventing the wheel does anybody know of a online resource for pulling pc's apart?
I've already done a google search, found some items but not really what i'm after. I need lots of pictures.
Thanks In advance

Regards
Max
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Edit* I know it will vary from brand to brand as to how to dismantle the machines so i am after a generic discription.

Regards
Max
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I'd search for articles on how to build a PC - it's the same concept in reverse and you're likely to find a lot more sites.

Nelviticus

If you take out enough screws, they come apart. ;)

If you're going to be selling the parts, however, I would strongly suggest anti-static wrist straps/ground wires.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

I didn't learn that one until recently but I learnt it as 4 words:

lefty loosey, righty tighty

Goes quite a long way but they have to know their left from their right.

They're disabled, not stupid. I'm sure they know how to use screwdrivers.

This Google search throws up a lot of good sites aimed at PC-building for beginners:
How to build a PC

I know you're talking about dismantling but the concepts are similar, i.e. finding out what all the bits are and how they fit together.

Regards

Nelviticus

Lefty loosy, righty tighty, except if they are copper colored, then they may be LH threads and go the other way.
IIRC, one of the AT&T systems, back in the 8088 days had one LH threaded screw in the middle of the M/B.

There are so many ways that manufacturers put things together that I get temporarily stymied sometimes.
Get some pictures of the major ways they are covered and that will handle 90%+ of the stuff you'll get. The innards are pretty much the same.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I only said left loosey because they are wanting to take them apart, therefore no reason to tighten them!

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Here's a thought...

Of those folks doing the work...

Have them organized/trained this way - with or without swapping people around:

1. First person/group pulls parts out.
2. Next group actually takes those parts, looks for any markings on them - brand name, model/serial #s, etc, and Google's them. You can almost always find out what something is - even if you've no clue, so long as it has some sort of identification. The leftovers could be sent to the "unknown" bin, where either you have the most experienced look at them, or either sell them as "unknown" or do whatever with them.

Also, how do you plan to do testing? I mean, how are you going to test every component? Firing up a problematic PC won't tell you for sure which part works, and which doesn't. And then, with old PCs, by the time someone figures out which parts are or are not any good, you've spent more on the hourly rate than you may get out of the part.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the reply's Guess i'll have to make my own instructions up with lots of pictures.

KJV1611: How they work, what groups etc.. is not up to me that's for their supervisors to work out, i'm just coming up with a set of instructions on how to pull them apart. As for testing, well that's a good point, I guess their idea is that if the system fires up and runs then it's OK and they will sell the complete system for $40-50 maybe, depending on the system. But i guess the bulk of the testing will be by me, i'm thinking that if they fire up they will go into one pile ( to sell )if they don't they'll go into another pile (for dissembling ).

Regards
Max

Just remember that e-waste is an exponentially expanding problem so be sure to dispose of the unwanted parts properly, don't just toss them in the Dumpster. Old parts are especially problematic.

There will be some effort (and maybe some cost) involved with correct disposal, but it's worth it to know that you are not adding to another problem while trying to pursue your worthy cause.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Is all this work being done at one site? If so, you might want to consider "hands-on" training as an alternative to any kind of generic video training.

Re: kjv1611's organization...that's a good beginning. No one is overloaded with doing the entire job of disassemble, identify, separate, inventory, etc.

Re: Tony's remarks concerning e-waste...very important. Your organization needs to be squeaky clean with a lot of attention paid to storage and final disposition of e-waste.

Skip

max8699,
One of the people I work with happened to come across this site that will accept many used/non-working lamps at no fee where they refit the bulbs. Disposal cost is always a concern, so I'm sure this will help!
Bob W

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you will see every problem as a nail." - Abraham Maslow

I prefer the "unrecoverable way" to get rid of old computer equipment. 7.62 SKS and Springfield XD .45.

3164854258_baa521dbe4.jpg

3164013473_0388e731e1.jpg

May not be for everyone, but it sure helps during those stressful weeks at the office!

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Bobw, thanks for the link, Unfortunately I'm in Australia so a bit far to send stuff just to recycle a bulb

But Thank you anyway

Regards
Max

ArizonaGeek :)
I have a few PC's I'd like to do that to :)

Regards
Max

Max, if you ever make it out to Arizona look me up. I got a special spot out in the desert where more than a few PCs have met with their death.

And yes, we clean up our mess when we're done in case anyone wondered.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

@ArizonaGeek

I would LOVE to finish off some PCs at times in that manner. Oh the joy. Of course, for an SKS or AK-47 or the like, I'd have to borrow one of those. I've shot both those and some others, but don't personally own one. If I did, they'd probably fall apart from lack of use and dust build-up before I could get any use out of 'em anyway. [frown]

Oh, I can see it now:
Dream said:
BSOD this! *BANG!*

[ROFL]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back