Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disksuite mirroring on x86 platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcclnoodles

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2004
GB
Hi there , I have a 4 disk SunFire X4100 (x86) and my customer has specified that they want their disks to be in a mirrored configuration ....my understanding was that DiskSuite (or whatever its called now) didnt support x86, is this the case and if so, does anybody know of any options (preferably non cost)

Thanks
Gary

Solaris Volume Manager appears to be installed and functional on Solaris 10 running on an x86 virtual machine. Is the metastat command available on that system?

I haven't actually tried creating any mirrors with it yet, but...

Annihilannic.

I used it on Sun's v20z's and v40z, the only thing that may or may not give you an issue is if you are actually inquiring about mirroring or putting your root drives under SVM (disksuite) control. I believe this part is (was when I was doing it) not supported. Since the v20/40z support HW raid, Sun prefered that you us that, which is very easy to set up. Im assuming the X4100, is probably similiar.

for other FS other than /, SVM works just fine.

The only thing I do not like about the x86 platform in regards to lets saying mirroring. On the sparc platform, lets say I wanted to mirror 2-36gb drives, c1t0d0 and c1t1d0. Well, as lazy as I am, I would use slice 2 (whole disk)

We are able to do this because, Sun certifies their disks, they have the correct FW, and if they are a Sun approved disk, they will ALWAYS be the exact same size, down to the blocks numbers.

This is not the case with the x86 platform (non-certified), at least when I was working continiously with them, it just made it harder because you just could not select slice 2 and create a metadevice on the fly. you had to actually work to get the sizes equal on both disks. That I did not like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back