Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disksuite help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAF786

MIS
Aug 1, 2005
US
I have never used disksuite defore, hence I need some help:

I have two disk 72.gb each, I want to create 120 GB file system..like /logs ...root syetem in on the another drive and I donot wana mirror root at this point...pls can you helep me ans give the step how to combine two disk and create one file system.....two disks are c1t2d0 and c1t3d0

Thanks

First partition the two disks using format as you usually would. Make a very small (just a 5 megabytes or so) partition on the beginning of each disk for the DiskSuite metadevice state database, and a very large partition to contain the actual data.

Use the metadb command to create the metadevice state database on the two small parititions. See the man page for details.

Once you have done that you can create a striped or concatenated metadevice using metainit, e.g. for striped you might use metainit d1 1 2 /dev/dsk/c1t2d0s1 /dev/dsk/c1t3d0s1 (presuming you used slice 0 for your metadb and slice 1 for data).

Then you can create your filesystem on /dev/md/rdsk/d1 as you normally would.

Hopefully that should be enough to get you started.

Annihilannic.

would it be metainit d1 1 2 /dev/dsk/c1t2d0s1 /dev/dsk/c1t3d0s1

OR

metainit d1 2 1 /dev/dsk/c1t2d0s1 1 /dev/dsk/c1t3d0s1

The first would give you a 'striped' device... i.e. 1 stripe with 2 columns.

The second would give youa 'concatenated' device.... i.e. 2 stripes with 1 column. Of course a 1 column stripe isn't a stripe at all, but that's the way DiskSuite deals with it.

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back