Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Diskcopy DOS of Octel 200 local database - floppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

etexas46

Technical User
Dec 5, 2006
US
All-
I have several Octel 200's ( from 2.0 to 4.1 ) to perform backups of Names, Greetings, PDL's, etc. to floppies and the customer wants 3 copies to be sent to various offsite locations. Can I use the old DOS diskcopy commands to create these additional diskettes or is some sort of encryption used by the Octel to prevent doing this....?

I know I'm showing my age :)

Thanks in advance......

It is possible to format standard floppies to OCTEL format.
But if you make back-up from the OCTEL to the floppy it will format to the correct "format" itself.
Names, Greetings, PDL's -> standard DOS format.

But if you want to make a system configuration back-up, you ned to send this command to the new floppy disk in the drive:
@CRE CFG
Also ALLWAYS remember to make at logged textfile (.txt) with all the data from
.list all (or .l all)

///doktor

Doktor-
Thanks for the reply. I understand what you said...but let me clarify what I want to do. The customer has older Octel 200's - from version 2.0 to 4.0. They have like 1000 mailboxes at each of three sites. Since it takes about 15 minutes per floppy using the Octel's floppy drive when backing up names, greetings, PDL's ( not using option 6 , rather one item at a time ). We both know it is a time consuming process. Only one backup of system prompts is needed. After that 3 copies of each for names, etc... are what they want ( to be sent to offsite locations ).
Rather than feeding in diskettes and sitting around forever to make these copies I wondered if the tech sent me the one copy we make while onsite- can I use my Windows XP machine with a 3.5 floppy drive, switch to dos and use the diskcopy a: a: command to make the others ( names , greetings, etc ) ? It would be much faster that way....I see you mentioned those were standard DOS format but I wanted to be sure....

Thanks in advance-

I know it is a hard job after installing several of these OCTEL 200/300's.
I am not aware of any tricks, when making back-ups, but if you have some kind of test installation is could be worth trying.
However the systems diskettes could be copied by DiskFactory (an old DOS program that copies byte by byte.)
If this would work for back-ups?
Otherwise you must bill the customer for the time spend in the comms room, and that bill would be big, I guess.

///doktor

I know it is a hard job after installing several of these OCTEL 200/300's.
I am not aware of any tricks, when making back-ups, but if you have some kind of test installation is could be worth trying.
However the systems diskettes could be copied by DiskFactory (an old DOS program that copies byte by byte.)
If this would work for back-ups?
Otherwise you must bill the customer for the time spend in the comms room, and that bill would be big, I guess.

///doktor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back