Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Diskbackup and Offsite Storage 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

azakaban

Technical User
Jun 19, 2002
GB
I am using Networker 7.3.2 and DisckBackup Option. I have set up an adv_file type device. I am taking my main backups to this device and then using the clone feature to clone the Group to LT03 tape.I then take the tapes offsite. What I want to achieve is to keep as much data on the disk as possible so if I have to do any restores I have the data available. When the adv_file gets full I want to delete the oldest savesets first. Any thoughts on how to script the disk full notification to delete the oldest savesets. It would have to be more than 1 day but less than a week.

Hi,

I think you could create a script that runs mminfo and sort out the oldest save sets on disk and delete them with nsrmm. I once wrote a script like that in perl that worked just fine, although I never put it into a production box. If I remember correctly I think I made sure it removed several ssids until 20GB was freed up or something like that. This might be an option for you.

Staging is out of the question I assume? That can do all this for you, but you will not have 2 copies at the same time though.

Another way would be for you to set up a short retention on all data that is on disk, ie a week or so or whatever fits on the ADFT, and during the clone make sure you are cloning to a pool where you have set up the retention policy to be longer. That way backups will expire on disk quickly but you'll still have access to the data on tape. The problem with this solution is that if you are away for a couple of days and the nsrclone fails, the original backup can be deleted according to the retention policy, even if hasn't been cloned.

I agree staging would help especially if I could stage to the recycle bin. It looks like its back to the script. Thanks for the post.

As we know, there is no recycle bin. However, you can setup a chain with multiple A(FTD)s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back