Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk zero spares

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkleinbrahm

Technical User
Oct 24, 2003
US
Does anyone know what exactly does the command "Disk zero spares" do? Everything that I have found on this seems to point that it removes all data from spare disks. Does it also write a series of zeros to the disk? I need to move filers from one location to another and I do not want to use the disk sanitizer command as it is permanent and has some loss of command functionality on the filer.

Thanks in advance.

Bob K.

The disk is overwritten by zero's. They do this for parity reasons. When a spare is introduced into a raid array, and all bits are at 0, when parity is calculated in the array, there will never be an impact:

1+0=1
0+0=0

Disk sanitization, this is a different story. The disk is overwritten multiple times by random patterns, making it impossible to recover the data

best regards,

R.

NetApp Certified NCDA/NCIE-SAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back