Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk won't Initialize

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyarber

IS-IT--Management
Oct 5, 2006
US
Hello,

My issue i'm having is with Disk initialization on a Windows 2003 server. What we have is a Fiber Channel JBOD that is connected to a compaq FC PCI HBA controller that sits in the server... The JBOD has 7, 67Gb FC hard drives in it, it used to have 7, 36 Gb hard drives in it, back then it worked with no problems. When we upgraded the drive to a bigger capacity they won't intialize.

One thing I want to do it remove any trace of the old 36Gb drives from the registry. My first question is if there is anything in the registry regarding the old drive and if there is if it would be causing the failed initializing of the new disk?

Thanks for any help ..

Well the disk are Hitachi, the FC controller is Compaq, the O/S is 2003 server, the server is Proliant ML370 G3 (HP,Compaq), and the JBOD enclosure is a third party manufacturer from england that don't make this stuff anymore. And it was all purchased on ebay (except O/S) and now I got to fix the crap that don't work because it was bought on ebay..

I will go ahead and post it on the other forums, but I have been working on this issue for 4 months now and HP people seem to believe its not HP/Compaq stuff. Well maybe I should look stricly hardware since I believe it is the drives.

Thanks elmurado

Have you updated everything to the latest firmware/software revision (including W2K3 drivers)?

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

I just click on your link, and ya, i'm registered there and have post on this subject there just recenly actually. :)

TheLad as far as I know the FC controller is up-to-date. The Hitachi FC hard drives, I couldn't tell you, they havent initialized for me to be able to even see if they need firmware upgrades. And yes the 2003 server was just updated last week actually. What updated drivers for 2003 server were you thinking about TheLad?

If the Drives were toast, would they even be showing up in disk management in the first place?

See the reason I posted in this forum was because disk management (O/S function) was coming up with an error when it tried to initialize the drives. BTW, the error is: The operation did not complete. Check the System Event Log for more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back