Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk Space on Ubuntu install

Status
Not open for further replies.

UUVGuy

Technical User
Jun 4, 2005
US
I just installed the latest version of Ubuntu on a 10 gig HD and I am left with only 2.2 gig of free space after install.
I had Ubuntu format and partition the drive and there is no other OS or software on the drive. It is a dual boot system but XP is on another HD. What can I do to recover some of the disk space? I have been in Syaptic but other than a dialer program, nothing stands out as far as extraneous software. I have 2 kernels loaded and would like to delete the oldest one but don't know how to find it in Synaptic. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't think Your Ubuntu install has consumed 7.8 gig of HD space.
Mine is now at approx 5 gig, and I'v added a lot of apps and other stuff to it.
You can check your disk space usage from the commandline with:
Code:
df -h | egrep '^(/dev|File)'
Copy and paste the above into a terminal.
this should filter out virtual filesystems, and only show you the real
partitions you have, how big they are, and how much space is used on them.

You find the terminal program at: Menu => Accessories => Terminal

My guess is that the Ubuntu installer formated 7.8 gigs for the system,
about half of it should still be available for you to use,
and the remainding 2.2 gig is swap area for Ubuntu.
Linux uses a separate swap partition, and not just a swap-file like Windows.

As for the extra kernel, dont botter with it. It only 50 megs (approx), so theres
not much to gain by removing it.

You might want to look into the options in apt-get - this is the Debian package manager that Ubuntu uses. Generally, all of the installation package files are stored even after the programs are installed. apt-get clean will delete those package files. (If you need to re-install, you would just have to download that package again.)

I think you can run this with the --dry-run flag to get a report on what would be deleted without actually doing anything.

Check man apt-get for a lot more info. Synaptic is a graphical interface for the aptitude/apt-get toolset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back