Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk space and checking processes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponetguy2

MIS
Aug 28, 2002
US
Quick question, but long story. I have a number of servers where disk space suddenly became an issue. We recently installed DST patch cluster on our Solaris boxes. After installing the patch cluster, it filled-up /usr. Now, /usr is either at 98% or 100% full. After running du -akd | sort -nr| more, we found that the DST patch cluster included some java updates. We can easily move /usr/jdk to /opt/jdk and create a sympbolic link to /opt/jdk in /usr to clear some disk space in /usr. However, java is currently being utilized on the box.

Now to my question :) Sorry for the long story :) I did a ps -ef | grep jav and found java running on the boxes. However, seeing the output for ps -ef | grep java, it is pointing to another path instead of /usr/jdk. Can I safely assume that moving /usr/jdk will not cause any problems?

"Not all OSs suck, it's just that some OSs suck worse than others"

Best check which java is in your path but be careful some application may have a different profile [Path] and be using another jre?

# java -version

# which java

# find / -name java [as root]

Good Luck

I would remove your patch cluster and install the minimum patch requirements for DST, which are 2 patches, and then install Java 1.4.2_11 or higher (I am running 1.4.2_13).

Now to my question :) Sorry for the long story :) I did a ps -ef | grep jav and found java running on the boxes. However, seeing the output for ps -ef | grep java, it is pointing to another path instead of /usr/jdk. Can I safely assume that moving /usr/jdk will not cause any problems?

two things:
* if you do not see any path in 'ps -ef' does not necessarily mean it was started from another path. It's a parameter to exec() systemcall (afaik) what is displayed in ps; I guess 99,99% of all ps outputs show exactly the path the exe was started from... ;-)
* if you move files to another place and there are open files this will not harm the processes, as long as they don't want to open files which no longer exist in this dir. So if you move the java files from /usr/jdk to /opt/jdk and link them java can safely be started at next boot from the new location but with old path

Best Regards, Franz
--
System Manager (Solaris, HP-UX, Linux, some networking, some SAN)

Great help as always for tek-tips. I love this site. Thank you everyone.

"Not all OSs suck, it's just that some OSs suck worse than others"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back