Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk share 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

funstur

Technical User
Feb 15, 2001
GB
I am currently introducting Linux to an existing NT network. I require access to existing raids & disks, for operator from both from NT & Linux platforms.

Is there a format type that allows access both from NT & Linux? Fat32 or HPFS is not compatible with NT.....

many thanks Funstur

Are you ou sure? I have on my computer LinuxMandrake8+Win2kServer. Win2k is under NTFS but LinuxMandrake on its own partition. One fat32 partition is accesible from the both operating systems. John Fill
1c.bmp

ivfmd@mail.md

NT4 does not support HPFS & Fat32 file systems

Actually,

NT4 does not support HPFS or FAT32 by DEFAULT, but 3rd party tools are available to fix that...

Search on google for more info as I wont touch M$ with a 10 foot pole, so i dont know the links offhand..

-John

I believe NT can read Fat32 with service pack 4 or 5 (or is it 6), but one of them will do that.

Linux can read ntfs and even write to ntfs (although I still this this is in experimental stage, the writing too, so be careful). This would require a kernel recompile, though.

What about fat16?

There R third party tools also for reading ext2 under NT and there are no many fs that R unmountable by linux ;-) Buils your data store upon samba and coda and U'll get access from everywhere to your data.
bubak

As I know there exists somt third party utilites for Linux to read NTFS. John Fill
1c.bmp

ivfmd@mail.md

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if this is about sharing files on a network, then you don't have to worry about the filesystem types at all. Just use Samba on the Linux machine, and you can share any Linux partition or directory you want to your Windows network. Samba also includes a Windows network client that will allow the Linux machine to access Windows shares on the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back