Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk recognition without reboot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrywashington

Technical User
Jun 28, 2001
US
Is there an AIX command or commands (similar to "drvconfig", "devlinks" and "disks" in Solaris) that make the OS see a disk that has been added without a reboot?

No I haven't. I will try running cfgmgr as soon as I receive the disk. Thanks for the info.

hi,
from SW point of view, using cfgmgr is = to reboot machine,
Furthermore is better becouse output command can show you that a new device is found and driver is needed (via CD)

From HW point, be carefull, a id duplication, or a bad
contact in SCSI cable, may lead your Risc to hang (without a correct shutdown) or a HW damage of your disk or scsi adapter.

If you can, switch off the machine, the AIX is very robust,
but HW is HW. If you cannot, be careful with cables and terminators.

bye

I've had to replace a lot of disks (SSA disks) and have never had a problem with running cfgmgr. Be sure to delete the old disk you are replacing before putting in the new disk and running cfgmgr.

Also, this web site ( lists commands in various unix flavors and gives you the command for the flavor you don't know.

If you are missing drivers you can run cfgmgr against the cd-rom to pick off the necessary drives from the base cd of your version of AIX.. #cfgmgr -vi /dev/cd0

different disk needs different treatment. If you are adding an SSA disk, you can run cfgmgr but if it's a SCSI disk and you wll add it to a SCSI raid...you need to add it on the "smitty pdam". You can do this online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back