Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk read error during Win 2000 Server install

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwinnyk

Programmer
May 27, 2003
US
Hey everyone:

I am trying to install Windows 2000 server on an old Dell server we have here at work. I formatted the entire partition to NTFS, and was able to get through the non GUI setup without a problem, but, when setup reboots the computer, I get an "unable to read disk. Press ctrl-alt-del" error. I specified a third party SCSI driver during the non graphical part of the setup and let setup take it from my floppy disk.

My question is, Windows is able to write to the disk without a problem during the non GUI install, but won't read the disk after reboot. I've started the install over several times, only to get the same result. Does this look like a hardware problem, or am I forgetting to do something here?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Chris

IN this instance, you need to make the boot floppy discs, and boot from those - not forgetting the whole SCSI driver press F6 thing at the correct point.

M.

Hollingside Technologies, Making Technology work for you.

Disable any Hardware RAID you may have going on there.

Just start the setup and let Windows set up the raid after you have installed the Server OS Software.

The problem is that when windows starts it's looking for the Boot sector in one place and the SCSI Card is displaying different info. I went through the same problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back