Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disk mirroring question

Status
Not open for further replies.

yisrael

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2003
US
I have a server that I currently have had a RAID 1 configuration through Windows 2000 disk mirroring. A few days ago I had a disk fail and my other disk is starting to go. I broke the mirror, purchased a new hard drive, and while trying to reinstate the mirror, my first disk found a bad block. They are both ATA hard drives - Drive 0 was a 40 GB and drive 1 was 80 GB. This brings me to the following question:

They say that when you do mirroring you should have the same size hard drives. Is this only for best practices or with hardware RAID, or is this a poor configuration even with software RAID? The reason I ask is that the only HD I currently have to use are either two 40 GB Hard drives or one 40 GB and one 80 GB. I hope to reimage tonight and I don't plan on running to the store for another HD unless it is necessary. Any ideas? Thank you.

It's best practice. I've had servers with mixed size mirrors in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back