Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

skhope

IS-IT--Management
Aug 30, 2002
GB
Is it possible to reduce the size of a volume? If so how?

I allocated my C drive to be 16GB and only want it to be less than 10GB so I can use the other 6GB for something else. It was a basic disk but I converted it to dynamic to see if it would let me change the size but it didn't. ANy more ideas?

I think that you shouldn't have converted it to a dynamic disk. If you hadn't, you could have used some of the partitioning tools mentioned in the article for which I provided a link above.
I think that most (if not all) of the partitioning programs don't support dynamic disks and volumes.

One possibility for you could be to use a disk cloning program, such as Symantec Ghost, to produce an image of your hard disk, delete the dynamic volume, recreate it and then clone it back. You would need to check that the version of the cloning software you use does support dynamic volumes.

Obviously, before you start playing with anything, you should create backup of your data. Unless you don't mind loosing the data on your hard disk, in which case you would have probably already reformatted the hard disk and started from scratch again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back