Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentNight

Technical User
Apr 1, 2003
US
I have MS 2000 Pro Book (part of MSCE series) and it states that I should be able to resize, add and delete volumes, on the fly through the disk management snap in under Admin Tools. It says I'll be able to 'Right Click the unallocated space on the dynamic disk where I want to create a volume.' It indicates that this 'launches the Create Volume Wizard'. This never happens.
What I am trying to do is this...I want to create three partitions or volumes, one for the system, one for the programs, and one for the data.
I was thinking of partitioning into 3, but w/ 2000 I can't get a DOS fdisk command to work. It won't work in cmd. So how can I
run fdisk now?
Last, I understand that 2000 supports dynamic volumes, but 2000 automatically made it a basic drive when it patritioned the drive (I am pretty sure this is why my 'create volume' snap-in isn't working.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

If you want to still do all of this through Fdisk, you can still use the 98 boot disk to make all your partition changes. Win2000 will recongize these partitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back