Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk I/O requests in Windows Operating Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bworley1404

IS-IT--Management
Nov 7, 2006
US
I've been trying to search for this, but I'm not sure what exactly to search for...anyhow, here goes.

My question is...how does Windows Operating Systems priortize disk I/O's. For instance, if I have a Windows Server running SQL Server, and I have 20 users accessing a database on that server, and one user trying to copy a file from the server would one have priority over another for the disk I/o's? Not sure if I explained that well enough.

We have a sql server that is accessed by 20-30 users. Response times usually 10-20ms on our network. An additional users decides to copy a 1.5GB file from that server to their desktop, and response times jumped to 300+ms. Was priority being given to the file transfer over the SQL server requests?

Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back