Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk I/O Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdietz

Technical User
Jul 31, 2003
US
On a Compaq Presarrio I am getting a Disk I/O error, Replace the disk and then hit any key.

I have replaced the hard drive, the floppy, and disconnected the CD and the Zip. I still get the error. I think I am seeing a bad mother board.

Any have any ideas.

Thanks!

You said you replaced the "floppy". Did you replace the dirve or the disk? Anyway, disconnect everything but the disk floppy drive. Reset the bios (jumper or pull the battery) and try to boot off just the floppy (be sure the cable is good). If you still get the same error, I'm afraid your fears are correct - bad board. If it does boot to the A: drive, connect just the hard drive (good cable - stripe correct). You may have to reset the parameters of the drive. Go from there.

Um, did you try booting with taking the floppy disk out of the drive. That is a typical error if you have a floppy disk in your machine that is not a bootable floppy. If this is the case, and you want to not have the error occur, whether you have a floppy disk inserted or not, just enter setup/bios by pressing F2, F10, or F12 most likely on a Compaq (or Del on any non Dell/Compaq, etc machine), and find your boot order, make sure the Hard drive is first, or at least make sure the floppy is behind the hard drive, so you could put in this order: CD/Hard Drive/Floppy or Hard Drive/CD/Floppy, and that will fix your machine to where it will boot without looking at the floppy drive. If you need to boot from floppy at some point in future, just reverse that change.

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back