Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk Error - Cannot Read Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion14

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2002
US
Hi all,
I'm running hpux 10.20 on an ancient D230 test server with 4 physical drives assigned to one volume group. Looks like one of the drives is going bad because I get the following error when the system starts to boot:
CANNOT READ: BLK 21228696. I get thrown to the (in bcheckr)# prompt. I tried the fsk-P command at this point but it doesnt do much good. I can <ctrl>D and continue to boot. When the system finally boots I cannot see the /mydir directory. This is the logical volume for this volume group. All my other directories are ok since they dont sit within the bad volume group.
How do I fix this? Is there a 'defrag' routine or similar that will block off the bad sectors?
I dont mind losing the data since it's a test/backup server. I can restore the data from this directory via tape backup.
Thanks for any info.

How do I fix this?

replace the disk drive.

Is there a 'defrag' routine or similar that will block off the bad sectors?

nope, unix ussualy uses journaled file systems, so no defrag is needed. With bad block you need a low level format.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back