Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk drive failures 15 times what vendors say, study says

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahnula

Technical User
Jun 26, 2005
US

This is an interesting read...

linking article said:
The study, which compared the failure rates of many SCSI, FC and SATA drives, determined that the failure rate for most drives was between 2% and 4%, and as high as 13% in some scenarios. This is in stark contrast to the manufacturers, who list a failure rate of around 0.88%.

[surprise]

I believe it. It's called "marketing". What most of us would just call lying, most manufacturers in any field would call it "marketing".

[wink]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

So, is buying/designing/building a SCSI system really better??? I was taught that SCSI drives are built like tanks, and should be the only choice when building/upgrading a server. It seems there is no benefit to them over SATA in this report.

wahnula

I would guess that SAS drives are the better way, now. Though, that's only for those who can afford that hardware.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back