Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk Disappear after Restarting 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

boon82

Technical User
Mar 11, 2004
MY
Hi,

I have two Microsoft Servers, one Windows 2000 Server, and another one is Windows 2003 Server. Some volumes have been created using SANtricity Storage Manager. These volumes are mapped to Windows 2000 Server. Even though without CREATING any volume for the Windows Server 2003, just connecting the HBA card attached to the Windows 2003 Server to the SAN switch, I have a problem.

My problem is that, when the volumes created are properly assigned to Windows 2000 Server, and once i restart the Windows 2003 Server, volumes assigned to Windows 2000 Server will disapppear. Hence, i need to reboot the Windows 2000 Server again in order to have my "disk" back. What can i do to make sure that the volumes assigned to Windows 2000 Server still remain accessible even though I have restarted my Windows 2003 server?

Your advice will be much appreciated. Thank you very much. Have a nice day!

Warmest Regards,
Boon

What type of HBA's are you using? Emulex, JNI....model

For starters, I would zone the switch to allow access between the Storage Port that the volume is assigned down and the HBA port of your Win2K server. Second, if you have multiple volumes down the Storage Port, then I would recommend using LUN Security.

Thanks a lot, comtec17. I will try it out. By the way, I am using Emulex HBA, Brocade Switch, and Storagetek Disk Library. Thanks to Chacalinc too. Thanks you all a lot. :)

In the Emulex Config Utility, "elxcfg" what boxes on the right side do you have checked?

Also, what driver version and firmware?

Are you using more than 1 HBA in the server? If so, are the disk coming down both paths? Do you have RDAC installed?

Hi Mr/Ms comtec17,

Thank you very much. I think I have pointed out the problem. I need to upgrade the Emulex HBA driver on my Windows 2000 Server to the version, which is same as the driver on my Windows 2003 Server. Thank you very much, your phrase "Also, what driver version and firmware?", really gave me a good hintz. Thank you very much :-D.

Finally, i can restart the server at anytime without any interruption. :-D. Again, thank you very much.

Warmest Regards,
Boon

Hi Guys

I'm experiencing quite a similar problem. I have a Win2k server which is connected to HBA then to a disk array. One morning I discovered that the D drive had dissappered.
At first I thought it was a problem with the Emulex fibre adapter on the server. I replaced this and also the fibre optic cable. But I still cant see the D drive. I can see the E & F drives.
Any idea's guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back