Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk device question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chacalinc

Vendor
Sep 2, 2003
US
Hi all,

I'm not a solaris admin, just an storage architect, but I need to analyze the "sar" output and it has several types of disks devices, a small list of types of devices:

1/md100
md10
ssd10.t2
ssd30.t1
ssd30.t3
sd3,a
ssd86
ssd86,a
st5

Could anyone give me a short description, or just tell me what device to see and not to see? e.g. I know that "st5" should be a tape drive, but the rest I'm confused.

Thank you!

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

sd, ssd and md are driver names, the numbers following them are instance numbers.

md are metadevices, i.e. logical devices provided by the Sun/Solstice DiskSuite (or more recently Solaris Volume Manager) software. See man md.

sd devices are standard SCSI disks. See man sd.

ssd are fibre-channel disks. See man ssd.

There may be a better way to do this these days (I'm not using Solaris much any more), but you can identify their full device paths by examining /etc/path_to_inst. For ssd86 , for example, there will be a line where the third field is "ssd" (with the quotes), the second field is 86, and the first field is the full device path including SCSI target and LUN IDs.

Annihilannic.

Thank you!!! that makes it clear.

just one more question, what is the differencre between "ssd30.t1" and "ssd86"? I know that ssd86 is the (SAN) disk drive and "ssd86,a" is the first partition inside ssd86, but "ssd30.t1" (and also "ssd30.t3") is a mystery for me.

Thanks again!

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

uff.. thank you though for your help Annihilannic, it was very clear.

If anyone have the answer, it's very welcome!

Cheers.

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back