Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk DeFragmentation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

scohan

Programmer
Dec 29, 2000
US
I've got one 30GB drive on my Win 98 Second Edition PC (667 Mhz P3, 64MB RAM) I can't defrag it using the windows tool. Whenever I try, the farthest it gets is up to 10% complete, and then it just seems to hang there no matter how long I let it run.

Any ideas what I should do? The disk has about 7 GB used and the system is getting unbearably slow. Thanks.

or you could go in to safe mode by pressing F8 until a startup menu appears when starting your computer.

Screensavers are notorious for stopping defrag, and scandisk - set screensaver to NONE. Also, make sure under Power Schemes that System Standby = NEVER, and Turn Off Hard Disks = NEVER. If in doubt, do as Masterpjz9 suggests and run 'em in Safe Mode.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

I`ve come across this error before, refused to defrag after a certain percentage. In my case it seemed to be an error on the hard disk. Though using scan disk didn`t find any errors (strange) doing either a standard search or a surface search. I finally got round it by unchecking the `Check the disk for errors` radio button. Semed to run and defrag after that as usual. Give it a try, just may do the trick.

Malakili

Or you could go to Start, Run and type in "msconfig" and go to the "startup" tab. Uncheck any programs that you DON'T need when you start the computer. I had THIS SAME problem before, and it was because a program was writing to the hard drive.

IF A PROGRAM IS RUNNING IN THE BACKROUND THAT IS WRITING TO THE HARD DRIVE, YOU *****CAN NOT****** RUN SCANDISK.

Everyone else is telling you to do nonsense things that don't solve the problem.

scohan

Been posted here by reghakr..

Add a value for DEFRAG.EXE /ALL to the RunServicesOnce key
The Disk Defragmenter for Windows 98 (DEFRAG.EXE) may start and not complete its task. If repeated attempts to defragment the drive are unsuccessful, it may be because an application is writing to the disk. The Disk Defragementer cannot share access to a drive with other tasks.

An application loading automatically at startup may interfere with DEFRAG. Run DEFRAG before applications load at startup by adding a value for DEFRAG.EXE /ALL to the RunServicesOnce key in the registry.

Note: You can use your computer while Disk Defragmenter is running, however, Disk Defragmenter restarts if the contents of the drive you are defragmenting change.

Select defrag.inf found in the \tools\mtsutil folder on the Windows 98 CD
Right-click defrag.inf, and choose Install from the menu
The next time you start your computer, Windows will defragment your drive(s) automatically

smitee

OH MY GOD!!!!!!

****FIRST******
Close ALL programs that are running in the backround and run Defragmenter

****THEN******
If that doesn't work, THEN you can hack the registry.

You have to PROBLEM SOLVE. If it is a backround program, go shut down each program one-by-one until scandisk runs successsfully.

Start off simple and work to the harder methods. It seems everyone here is so eager to jump right into the registry and assume the worst possible scenario, when it MAY be simple, as in my case.

LESS EVASIVE--->MORE EVASIVE---->MOST EVASIVE
EASY----------->HARDER---------->HARDEST

UNTIL THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED!!!

This is scohan responding from my cohans account. I got it to work, by using the faster defrag rcommended by LuckyFour, running from Safe Mode recommended by masterpjz9, and setting 'Turn off Hard Disks=Never' recommended by G0AOZ (mine was set to 'after 1 hour'.) Thanks all.

Hi Cohans,
I'm glad that everyone's suggestions helped. By the way, this is my first star!! So, thank you. :)

This is a bit late in the day but, I prefer the Safe Mode method of Scandisk and defrag, especially when looking at problem PC's. While you're there check out Device Manager and scan through the different devices, on most occasions you will come across duplicate entries, like 3 display adapters, 7 monitors, a couple of keyboards etc. etc. Delete them if they are not required, if you are not sure and feeling brave, delete all entries of a device, it SHOULD be recreated and the next clean boot. So many times I have seen PC's with spurious devices in Safe Mode, surely this must cause some difficulties with the normal operation of the PC, and I can say that I have seen it do no harm to remove the spurious devices. DEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back