Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk controller/system log

Status
Not open for further replies.

rephlex

Technical User
Aug 15, 2001
GB
I have just installed a new drive (quantum), installed Win2k for the first time (previously Win98) and I am getting an error in event viewer/system log:

Event ID: 11
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\DR0

Happens under heavy disk activity - this is the main error message that I am getting although I occasionally get an error:

Event ID: 5
A parity error was detected on \Device\IDE\IDEPort0

My machine is
AMD T/Bird 1Ghz
Abit KT7 Mobo
Abit Siluro MX400
SBlaster Live
256Mb
40Gb Quantum Fireball Plus AS
Netgear card

I checked this by installing Win2k on my old Fujitsu ATA33 drive with the same errors - any ideas????

Have you installed the IDE BusMaster from the motherboard driver CD. That could solve this :) ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G),FoxAcc, ramani_g@yahoo.com

Yes Via 4in1 drivers(latest)installed

Tried PI0 mode - seemed to solve the errors but clearly MUCH slower operation as you would expect - not really a solution as far as I am concerned

Maybe try using an ATA66/100 sheilded 80pin/conductor cable. The "new" ones everyone refuses to pay an extra dollar for. It should at least solve the parity problem. I was having the same problem with the same drive, that's the only thing that made it work.

jschrie@hotmail.com

Any more Ideas - also getting irql_not_less_or_equal BSOD

Under what conditions do you get the irql_not_less_or_equal BSOD?
Nate Gagne
nathan.gagne@verizon.net

Like my post? Let me know it was helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back