Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk boot failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkrampe

IS-IT--Management
Nov 30, 2006
US
I just bought a new hard drive for my HP s7613w computer and when I try and get it to boot to cd i get the "Disk boot failure, Insert system disk and press enter". It loads past the bios screen then goes to a black screen with flashin cursor then the error comes up. The disc drive is in higher boot priority than the hard drive, but doesnt seem to make a difference. No matter what i try it seems to always come back to this same error. I have tried to put in another hard drive as well and it seems to be doing the same thing. Could this be a bad motherboard?

It means it can't find anything to boot from.

Is the CD in the CD drive a bootable CD?

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

For some reason the CD can't read. Some can't without help although I would suggest that your machine is late enough that it should.

Does this machine have a floppy drive? If so, you could get a 98 boot disk and enable CD on bootup. That would give you access if you are dealing with a CD without an OS.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

what when u try to boot without harddisk, is the cd recognized then?
bios finds both drives, cd and hdd?

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

Yea it was an issue with the disk. It was a bootable disk, i just didnt see the scratch on it. I got a different boot disk and it worked just fine. Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back