Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disk Array Problem - DELL PowerEdge 1800 Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

hameja

Programmer
Oct 15, 2003
BE
Hi,

I have a problem with my server. It appears like two of the disks in the array are no longer online. I was swapping the disks between two servers.

How can I rebuild the array without losing data that is sitting on the these two disks?.

F1 - Help.

If you swapped the drives into the new server with the drives corresponding to the same raid channels in the old server, and the same slots, it should not be a problem. Newer raid adapter will even allow drives to be in different slots as long as the channels are the same. On the other hand, if the channels have been mixed up you may have a big problem. On my Lsi u320-2x raid, I mistakenly switch the drives to the wrong channels, then after it was booted, numerous errors occurred at bootup, relating to not having an array. After reversing them back and reconfiguring the raid bios setup, with the exact original setup, they resurrected after the adapter started and finished a background initialization. Warning, do not start an initialization yourself, a manual initializtion destroys the data. Personally I would call the raid manufacturer before you do anything else.

Always mark your cables as to the drive channel they belong too on the raid adapter and backplane connectors, always mark your drives as to the slots and channel they belong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back