Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Discussion : Two NICS in a Server & Routing Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkRobinson

Programmer
Feb 18, 2000
US
Just resolved an ongoing problem, the most notable symptom of which was that I could not ping any of the workstations from the NT 4.0 server... but they could ping the server.
NIC 1 - 10.0.0.2 connect to the Hub
NIC 2 - 10.0.0.98 connected to a router 10.0.0.99 (Webramp)
Using Wingate Proxy Server
It was causing all kinds of problems.

I changed the second NIC to 10.0.1.98 and made other appropriate changes.. works better. I'm not sure how the packets are getting from one subnet to the other... maybe the proxy server?
What does the subnet mask have to do with it?
What is the significance of the GATEWAY address in the NIC properties?

QUESTION: Routing Tables
Someone had me type
ROUTE PRINT
to get the routing table. Can anyone tell me more about the routing table... how to understand it?
[sig][/sig]

The routing table is used to specify static routes to networks other than those known by the computer (ie. from 172.16.8.0 ->>>>> 10.0.0.1 if your computer IP address is in the 172.16.8.0 network). The tables are looked up before the packet is sent out through the default gateway.
You can find help on routing tables by searching the help provided by windows. Look up the route command.

However, you do not need to specify any tables. All you need to do is enable ip forwarding in your Network Neighborhood properties. I think the option is found under TCI/IP. This will allow packets to be passed from one NIC to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back