Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Discussion Point Bound vz Unbound

Status
Not open for further replies.

redapples

Technical User
May 1, 2003
GB
Which is better? I tend to bind my forms but there is an argument I suppose for creating an object or type to store information and add it using a transaction once I'm done. Anyone got any thoughts or comments?

Want the best answers? See FAQ181-2886

Unbound forms are much more flexible than bound forms but take 2-3 times longer to build.
Personally, I think if you are committed to unbound forms then you are probably better off using VB rather than Access as there is a wider range of controls available.
You can still do the database management in Access.

Hmm yes I see the point, I put up the question as I was thinking from a point where I had been using some .Net front ends and also because I had been trying to be more OOPs in my use of Access using class modules where ever possible. My needs are such that I mix the tools I use dependant on the constraints of who's asking. I agree it takes longer to build unbound forms, why do you consider them to be more flexible?

Want the best answers? See FAQ181-2886

The advantages I see (and I hardly ever use unbound forms) are that you are not controlled by Access's decisions on when to save records - this can be a problem if you have to do what amounts to 'transaction' oriented input (save ALL these records or None of them).
But bound forms are always my first choice in Access because they save so much time and I have to quote competitive prices to my clients.

I've also found when I build an access only app, bound forms are simpler and faster. I haven't really run into record locking conflicts, but then most of my apps simply report historical information.

The amount of data should figure in your decision too. Now that I'm developing with a sql server backend (millions of rows) through an ado connection, unbound forms are much faster. I do end up writing a lot more code, and I save my sql strings in a local table just to make change management easier.

Each method definitely requires a different mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back