Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Discriminiating against the letter "R"

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE4MAN

Technical User
Mar 17, 2002
US
Hi Guys,

I have a VERY STRANGE issue here that hopefully you might have seen before or know of a solution.

I have a server with 15 or so e-mail accounts on it that all work great. Except for those that have names that begin with the letter "r". In Outlook, or Outlook Express, these "r" accounts can send outgoing mail but won't accept the correct password for the incoming mail. The incoming and outgoing use the same mail server and always have. I tried changing the passwords for these accounts. I tried deleting and re-creating the accounts. I also tried deleting and re-creating the accounts in both Outlook and Outlook Express - multiple times, with multiple settings - nothing works. In each instance, it connects to the outgoing server which appears to be fine, then it connects to the POP3 incoming and asks for the password which I cannot get it to accept. Again, ONLY on accounts that start with the letter "r".

I created 3 totally new test e-mail accounts without the "r" and in Outlook Express with the exact same settings as I have been using all along. These accounts work great, both sending and receiving mail. Create 3 test mails starting with the letter "r", and I get the same incoming password error.

The "r" accounts can also be successfully accessed via the Web browser with no problem so I know the logins and passwords are good.

Here's the strange part... at home, on a different ISP (Road Runner), I can access the suspect mail accounts through Outlook Express and Outlook with NO problems. Also via the Web.

But at the client's office, on a different ISP (Arrival), and on 3 different computers there, the password in Outlook or Outlook Express doesn't work on these "r" accounts. Again, ALL other accounts work fine there.

I am going crazy trying to find a solution here. What in the HELL could be causing this problem with ONLY the accounts that start with "r"?!!!

Thanks in advance for any help with this profoundly odd e-mail issue.

Dave Fore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back