Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Discriminator Fax with ATA 186 and MGCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

quete

Technical User
Mar 7, 2005
ES
Hello Friends
I need help. There are faxes with discriminator through ATA 186. The problem it can´t receive documentations for the discriminator. Faxes without discriminator go well. I has been doing changes with "Cisco ATA 186 and Cisco ATA 188 Analog Telephone Adaptor Administration´s Guide (MGCP), Chapter 6, Configuring and Debugging Fax Services" but the same. Any idea?
Thanks

Since no else is asking the question, I will.

What is a discriminator FAX and how is it different from a standard FAX?

It is what it is!!

I guess he's talking about ECM. That's the only thing I can think of.

Hello Again
I refer to a fax which can discriminate voice and fax. For example, when i send a fax to this extension so i can hear a message that explain the following:
If you would like to send a fax or a voice message so please wait after the "bip" signal. Idea?

Thanks

I guess I don't quite understand what your issue is. You can receive faxes in fax only mode, but when someone sends a fax while it is in audio mode it won't work?

Assuming that is your issue, it probably will never work. The gateway identifies a call coming in as data or voice. If it is voice, it will try to determine if it is a FAX call can use either 1) FAX relay or 2) FAX pass through depending on how the gateway is configured. The ATA 186 will, under most circumstances, negotiate different codecs depending on the type of call. So if the call coming in is a voice call, it won't renegotiate when you start sending a FAX.

Keep in mind the ATA 186 is a cheap device. It is designed to work with a single analog device. That being said, it really isn't quited for what you are looking to do. The proper device for this is the VG200 series or an IAD device.

So what can you do? Depends on your gateway.

If you have fax relay enabled, see if fax pass through can be used. What kind of codec is being used right now? It may be possible to add some dial peers to force a G711 call (which may or may not pass the FAX). If your gateway supports analog VWICs, I would suggest putting one in and using that to connect to this FAX machine. You probably won't have the issues associated with the Codec since it won't leave the device. You may end up having to get a POTS line to handle this device. It is a fairly uncommon device on VoIP networks.

Last but not least, call Cisco.

It is what it is!!

the gateways should sample the audio of the call and look for an answer tone (2100hz, etc) to determine how the call should be handled. Run a 'debug voip ccapi inout' and look for cccallmodify messages after the call has been answered or get some 'show call act voice br' output to see if the call is type faxpass or something.

Hello Friends
Well, the problem is on CMM. The parameter MGCP Network Location OFFNET for E1 and T1 must be false.
Greetings
;P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back